Publications (Journals, Conferences, Invited Articles: An Excerpt)
- Kobayashi Tatsuru and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Taylor law of human linguistic sequences. Annual Conference of Association for Computational Lingusitics, pages 1138--1148, 2018.
- Daiki Hirano, Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, and Andrew Finch. Extraction of templates from phrases using sequence binary decision diagrams. Natural Language Engineering, 24:1--33, 2018.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Long-range correlation underlying childhood language and generative models.
Frontiers Psychology, 2018. in press.
- Shuntaro Takahashi and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii.
Do Neural NetsLearn Statistical Laws behind Natural Language
PLoS One, 2017, in press.
- Ryosuke Takahira,
Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, and Debowski Lukasz. Large scale verification of
entropy of natural langauge. Entropy, 2016.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Armin Bunde.
Long-range memory in literary texts: On the universal
clustering of the rare words. PLoS One, 2016.
- Andrew Finch, Taisuke Harada, Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, and Eiichiro Sumita. Inducing a bilingual lexicon from short parallel multiword sequences. Transaction on Asian Low-resource Language Information Processing, 2016. Accepted, to appear.
Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Shunsuke Aihara.
Text Constancy Measures.
41(3): 481--502, 2015.
Daisuke Kimura and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii.
A Study on Constants of Natural Language Texts.
Journal of Natural Language Processing, pages 877-895,
21(4), 2014. Special issue of awarded papers: English version of the 2011 best journal paper.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii.
Information Bias in English Words.
Journal of Quantitative Linguistics,
19(1): 77-94, 2012.
Hiroshi Yamaguchi and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii.
Text Segmentation by Language Using Minimum Description Length.
Proceedings of Annual Conference for Computational Linguistics,
pages 969--978, 2012,
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Hiroshi Terada. Word familiarity and frequency. Studia Linguistica, 65(1), pages 96--116, 2011.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Satoshi Tezuka, and Hiroshi Terada. Sorting by readability. Computational Linguistics, volume 36, issue 2, pages 203--227, 2010.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Julian Godon. Kansuke: A logograph look-up interface based on a few modified stroke prototypes. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 16(2), pages 11:1-11:17 2009.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. An instance vs. the instance. Journal of Minds and Machines, 19(1):117--128, 2008.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii et al. From phoneme to morpheme ---another verification using corpus in English and Chinese---. Studia Linguistica, 62(2)155-179, 2008.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Yuichiro Ishii. Multilingual phrase-based concordance generation in real-time. Information Retrieval, 10:275--295, 2007.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Word-based text entry techniques using adaptive language models. Journal of Natural Language Engineering, 13(1):51--74, 2006.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Dyadic and triadic sign models. Semiotica, 158:213--232, 2006. Walter de Gruyter.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Yuichiro Ishii. Thirdness as self-reference in computing. Semiotica, 160:327--343, 2006. Walter de Gruyter.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Hiroshi Nakagawa. A multilingual usage consultation tool based on internet searching -more than a search engine, less than QA-. In WWW Conference, pages 363--371, 2005. Best presentation award.
- Gal Kaminka, Ian Frank, Katsuto Arai, and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Performance competitions as research infrastructure: Large scale comparative studies of multi-agent teams. journal of autonomous agents and multi-agent systems. Journal of Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 7:1--30, 2003. Kluwer.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Daichi Hayakawa, and Masato Takeichi. Acquiring vocabulary for predictive text entry through dynamic reuse of a small user corpus. In Annual Meeting for Association of Computational Linguistics, pages 407--414, 2003.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Yusuke Inutsuka, and Masato Takeichi. Entering text using a four button device. In the 19th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pages 988--994, 2002.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Yusuke Inutsuka, and Masato Takeichi. Japanese input system with digits --Can Japanese be input only with consonants?--. In Human Language Technology Conference, pages 211--218, 2001.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Ian Frank, and Katsuto Arai. Trying to understand Robocup. Artificial Intelligence Magazine, Autumn(21):19--24, 2000.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii and Ian Frank. Multi-agent explanation strategies in real-time domains. In the 36th Annual Meeting for Association of Computational Linguistics, pages 158--165, 2000.
- Elizabeth Andre, Kim Binstead, Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Sean Luke, Gerd Herzog, and Thomas Rist. Three RoboCup simulation league commentator systems. Artificial Intelligence Magazine, Spring(21):73--85, 2000.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, Itsuki Noda, Ian Frank, Hideyuki Nakashima, Koiti Hasida, and Hitoshi Matsubara. MIKE: An automatic commentary system for soccer -- System design and control --. In International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems, pages 285--292. IEEE Computer Society, 1998.
- Kumiko Tanaka and Hideya Iwasaki. Extraction of lexical translations from non-aligned copora. In the 16th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pages 580--585, 1996.
- Kumiko Tanaka and Kyoji Umemura. Construction of a bilingual dictionary intermediated by a third language. In the 15th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pages 297--303, 1994.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Semiotics of computing : Filling the gap between humanity and mechanical inhumanity,
International Handbook of Semiotics, Springer , chapter 44, 981--1002, 2015.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Consonants as skeleton of language: Statistical evidences through text production. In
Recent Advances in Language Production, Cognition and the Lexicon , chapter 16, Springer,
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Semiotics of Programming. Cambridge University Press. 2010, May.
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Signs and Reflexivity. University of Tokyo Press. 2010, June. (The Japanese translated version of Semiotics of Programming, awarded the 32nd Suntory Academic Award (Philosophy and History) and the 19th Ohkawa Publication Award
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Statistical Property of Linguistic Articulation ---From phoneme to morpheme, to word, to phrase---, chapter 12. Mind and Language, University of Tokyo Press, 2008. (In Japanese)
- Scott MacKenzie and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii, editors. Text Entry Systems ---Accessibility, Mobility, Universality---. Morgan Kaufmann (Elsevier), 2007. Co-authored chapters 2, 5, 10, 11, 13.
- Ferdinand de Saussure. Joint Translation by Kyo Kageura and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii of ``3eme Cours de Linguistique Generale (1911) ---From notes taken by Emile Constantin---''. University of Tokyo Press, 2007.
- Donald.E. Knuth. Joint Translation of ``The Art of Computer Programming Vol.3''. ASCII Publishing Company, 2005. (In Japanese.)
- Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii. Japanese Entry on Mobile Phones, chapter 8, pages 77--86. Nihon Hyoron Sha, 2002. (In Japanese.)
2012.03.15 Daisuke Kimura and Kumiko Tanaka-Ishii.
Journal of Natural Language Processing, 2011 journal best paper Award.
2011.03.09 The 19th Ohkawa Book Award ("Semiotics of Programming", The 19th Ohkawa Publication Award
- 2011.02.16 Best Paper Award in IUI2011 with Wei Song, Andrew Finch (NICT) and Eiichiro Sumita (NICT).
- 2010.12.06 The 32nd Suntory Academic Award ("Semiotics of Programming", The 32nd Suntory Academic Award (Philosophy and History)
2009 Annual Conference of the Association for Natural Language Processing, Japan, Presentation Award
("Bias of Information Quantity Underlying Words")
- 2008 The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, The Young Scientists' Prize
2008 Annual Conference of the Association for Natural Language Processing, Japan, Presentation Award
("A Kanji Lookup Interface for Beginners: Kansuke")
2005.05 WWW Conference Best Presentation Award
2003 PACLING Best Paper Award ("Categorization of Movies using Comments")
2003 Annual Conference of the Association for Natural Language Processing, Japan, Presentation Award
("KIWI: A Multilingual Usage Consultation Tool based on Search Engines")
1999 Scientific Challenge Award for the "development of automated and statistical game analysis systems and methodologies".
1998 Scientific Challenge Award for the "development of fully automatic commentator systems for RoboCup simulator league".
Annual Conference of the Association for Natural Language Processing, Japan, Presentation Award
("MIKE: A Real-Time Commentary System for Artificial Soccer Games")